Nitro Cold Brew coffee. It sounds like a futuristic coffee that is reserved for the elite of coffee drinkers. But in reality, it’s just a regular cold brew coffee infused with nitrogen.
This article will explain what Nitro Cold Brew Coffee is, what makes it different than other types of coffee and how you can make your very own version of the drink at home.
What is Nitro Cold Brew Coffee?
Nitrogen Cold Brew Coffee is simply a cold brew coffee infused with nitrogen through a pressurized valve. This coffee drink has a unique texture and flavor that sets it apart from other cold coffee alternatives.
The idea to infuse coffee with nitrogen was inspired by other carbonated drinks like beer which infused with nitrogen, make for smoother and sweeter brews.
While CO2 was initially tested as a carbonated addition to the classic cold brew, nitrogen was eventually discovered.
What Does Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Taste Like?
Nitro Cold Brew Coffee has a unique taste that is different than any other coffee drink.
The nitrogen bubbles, which are smaller than carbon dioxide bubbles, give it a rich and creamy texture. This gives it a unique mouthfeel, comparable to the creaminess that you would get with a laté or a cappuccino but without the dairy, making it an excellent non-dairy alternative for some.
In addition, cold brew coffee reduces the acidity of coffee. Reduced acidity in coffee usually leads to more enhanced flavors and aromas.
The cold drink also has a uniquely sweet flavor without any additional sugar. This is because nitrogen is a naturally sweet gas and when infused into coffee, gives it a mildly sweet flavor.
Is Nitro a Healthier Alternative to Regular Coffee?
Nitro Cold Brew Coffee is naturally sweeter but also more creamy than other coffee drinks. Because of this, you’re less likely to add additional sugar or milk – making it a low-calorie alternative to other drinks like sweetened macchiatos or latés. Since it is enjoyed without anything additional added to it, its a great alternative for those on keto, paleo or vegan diets.
Acidity: Nitro Cold Brew Coffee is also less acidic than other types of coffee since acidity only appears when coffee reaches higher temperatures (195–205°F or 90–96°C). This means that the beverage is easier for those who have sensitive digestive systems or IBS. However, Cold Brew Coffee usually lacks chlorogenic acid, which is released along with the acidity at higher temperatures and has anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic and anti-cancer properties.
Caffeine: Nitro Cold Brew also has more caffeine than other coffee drinks, since it’s made with a higher coffee grounds to water ratio. This increased caffeine content can have both positive effects (increased metabolism, enhanced athletic performance and a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes) as well as negative effects (anxiety, irregular heartbeat, headaches and high blood pressure).
In general, Nitro Cold Brew Coffee has the same health benefits as regular coffee, given you do not add any additional milk or sugar.
Home Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Recipe
Since this drink can be so expensive ($5 at some coffee shops!) many people have started experimenting with making it at home. This is definitely a cheaper option and since the Nitrous Oxide is a natural preservative, this drink can actually be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
There are two main ways to make Nitro Cold Brew Coffee. The first involves using a whipped cream dispenser and the second is done by using a dedicated nitro coffee maker. Both methods are quite similar.
Using Whipped Cream Dispenser:
To make Nitro Cold Brew using this method you need the following:
- Cold Brew Coffee (Make sure to use the right roast when making cold brew)
- Whipped Cream Dispenser
- Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Cartridges
- Glass or Coffee Mason Jar (Check out this beautiful mason jar)
Here are some great options for your whipped cream dispenser and your Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Cartridges:
Recommended Dispensers and N2O Cartridges:
Pura Vida Whipped Cream Dispenser
Otis Classic Whipped Cream Dispenser
Creamright Ultra – Purewhip 50-Pack N2O:
Follow these steps to make Nitro Cold Brew using a whipped cream dispenser:
- Get your cold brew and dilute it to your preferred level. Once you run your cold brew through the whipped cream dispenser, it will be ready to serve. Because of this, you want to taste your cold brew first to make sure it isn’t too strong.
- Fill the whipped cream container. When filling the whipped cream container make sure to fill it up to the recommended fill line.
- Refrigerate your whipped cream container. If you want the drink to be ice cold, now would be a great time to refrigerate the entire container. When pouring your cold brew from into the container, some coldness is lost.
- Load the cartridge. Place the cartridge into the chamber that came with the whipped cream dispenser and attach it to the nozzle piece. You should hear a bubbling or hissing sound. Follow your dispensers’ instructions for this step.
- Shake the dispenser. Shake the whipped cream dispenser vigorously before pouring. Let it sit if you’d like your nitro cold brew to be a little less foamy.
- Pour from the dispenser into glass. Turn the dispenser entirely upside down and carefully pour it into your mason jar or glass.
- Enjoy your homemade Nitro Cold Brew Coffee.
Using Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker:
Making Nitro Cold Brew Coffee using this method will usually result in a similar tasting drink as the whipped cream dispenser method. However, if you’re looking for a dedicated unit that will make larger quantities and can become a staple in your coffee brewing kit, consider buying a Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker.
While there are very few Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Makers on the market right now, there are a few that work great and are very sturdy.
With a price tag of $139, this home brewer is pricey, but comes with a lifetime guarantee, ensuring it will last for decades.
Royal Brew Nitro Coffee System
A heavy duty Nitro Cold Brewer which comes in various sizes and includes a sleek matte black option. Best for those looking for a long term solution to quench their Nitro Brew needs.
Follow the following steps to make your Nitro Cold Brew Coffee using the Royal Brew Nitro Coffee System:
- Pour cold brew into the keg. Make sure cold brew is diluted to your desired level. Leave around a third of the keg empty to allow space for bubbles to form.
- Install the faucet. Add thin black silicone rubber ring to the faucet connection point.
- Place the nitro cartridge into the provided jacket.
- Screw in the nitrogen jacket until you hear a hissing noise.
- Shake keg. Make sure to shake the keg for at least 15-20 seconds before letting it sit for 20-30 minutes to absorb gas from the 1st cartridge.
- Repeat steps 3-5 using a second cartridge. Do this if only if you’re using recommended Nitrogen (N) Cartridge – ignore this step if you’re using Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Cartridges.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Take out unit from the fridge and pour into glass. Excess foam might drip so make sure you tap your glass on edge of stout faucet tip after closing tap handle.
- Enjoy your nitro brew coffee!
Nitrogen Cartridges (N2 and N2O)
This is one of the newest drinks to be developed in the world of coffee. As such, Nitro Cold Brew is something every real coffee lover has to try. It’s unique flavor and texture is like nothing you’ve ever tried.
Being able to enjoy this drink from the comfort of your home is an incredible luxury. And if you’ve decided to start brewing, we hope you enjoy your drink!
Subscribe for our Weekly Brew Newsletter! Sending you weekly updates on the latest coffee trends, beans and tools!